F1 boss Ecclestone charged in bribery case

0

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone has been charged by German prosecutors with paying a $44 million bribe, placing his future as head of the motor sport series in doubt.

The 82-year-old British billionaire has been under investigation since a German banker was convicted of taking the payment from him in connection with the sale of a stake in F1.

The Munich state court said Ecclestone has until mid-August to respond to charges of bribery and incitement to breach of trust in connection with Gerhard Gribkowsky’s management of the bankBayernLB’s 47 percent stake in F1.

Ecclestone, the longtime commercial head of F1, acknowledged during Gribkowsky’s trial in 2011 that he made the payment five years earlier but said he was pressured to do so.

Ecclestone’s indictment was dated on May 10 and has since been translated into English and delivered to Ecclestone and his lawyers, the court said.

”The lawyers have accepted an indictment,” Ecclestone told The Associated Press. ”It means they have to reply to the indictment, which they are strenuously doing.”

Ecclestone, who Forbes magazine reports is worth $3.8 billion, said he is yet to read the indictment.

”They are alleging I bribed someone,” Ecclestone said, while insisting he did ”nothing illegal.”

Sentences in Germany for bribery range from three months to 10 years in prison.

CVC Capital Partners, the investment group that has owned F1’s commercial rights since 2006, issued no direct comment Wednesday about the future of Ecclestone.

”Mr. Ecclestone has six weeks to provide a response to this bill of indictment prior to a decision being made by the court on opening proceedings,” the board of Formula One Group said in a statement. ”The board will continue to monitor developments in this situation accordingly.”

Ecclestone was retained as chief executive of F1 by CVC after it took control of the sport following the takeover that sparked the bribery case.

Gribkowsky was in charge of selling BayernLB’s stake in F1 to CVC.

In addition to taking the money from Ecclestone, Gribkowsky used BayernLB’s funds to pay the F1 chief a commission of $41.4 million and agreed to pay a further $25 million to Bambino Trust, a company with which Ecclestone was affiliated, prosecutors said during the trial in 2011.

Ecclestone told the court he deserved a commission for the sale, saying ”I did a very, very good job.”

On Wednesday, he told the AP: ”They wanted money. I was shaken down by the guys. It’s happened in life before.”

Gribkowsky, who has largely admitted the charges, was sentenced to 8 1/2 years in prison after being found guilty last year of corruption, tax evasion and breach of trust.

Ecclestone’s German lawyers, Sven Thomas and Norbert Scharf, said they will soon submit a ”comprehensive response” to the court – and the central issue in that response will be ”the varying ‘confessions’ of Mr. Gribkowsky.”

Ecclestone was savvy in building his power base in F1 from the 1970s and helped to create the Formula One Constructors’ Association that controlled the business side of the sport, including selling the TV rights.

The British-based company later became known as Formula One Management. It has fought regular tussles with the teams over finances, but has retained control of the global motor racing series.

CVC, having amassed a 63 percent stake of F1, has reduced its holding as other investors have come on board in recent years, although a planned flotation has stalled.

Ecclestone’s holding has been diluted to about 5 percent.

Geir Mouslon in Munich contributed to this report.

Ogled Red Bull, Ricciardo Performance Gear

Daniel Ricciardo. (Foto: Reuters)

SILVERSTONE – Daniel Ricciardo back teeth on the second day of testing at Silverstone. Toro Rosso managed to become the fastest driver of the 15 riders who fell in this test.

Having had time to become the fastest driver on the first day of testing at Silverstone on Friday (19/07/2013), Ricciardo is being ogled by Red Bull back was fastest with a record time of 1 minute 32,972 seconds.

Toro Rosso actually dominate in this test. Young drivers Carlos Sainz, who became his teammate this time, also ranks second. Interestingly, the third best time also achieved success Ricciardo Championship with 1 minute 33 187 seconds.

Pastor Maldonado again disappointing. The Williams driver had to settle for ninth position by making 1-minute 34 116 seconds. Maldonado was lost quickly from Davide Valsecchi, Oliver Turvey, James Calado and Antonio Felix da Costa.

Keep in mind, this time the test is one of the advanced program of the FIA ​​and Pirelli tires are trying to solve a problem that had plagued riders broke at Silverstone.

Marussia Switch to Ferrari Engine in 2014 season

PAPHOTO4 469598 468x311 Marussia Beralih ke Mesin Ferrari Musim 2014

ANBURY (DP) – Marussia F1 Team announced it would switch to using a Ferrari engine along with the change in engine regulations in 2014. Team based in Banbury, England, this was going to wear ERS, transmission components and all supporters of the Italian manufacturer.
Since the entry into F1 with Virgin Racing name in 2010, the team operates with the smallest budget in the grid using artificial Cosworth engine. Because of the lack of clarity about the Cosworth will provide 1.6 V6 Turbo engine for next year, Marussia decides to switch to Ferrari.
With Marussia’s announcement, which means there will be two teams on the grid in 2014 (Sauber and Marussia) using Ferrari engines. While Toro Rosso Ferrari engine wear since 2007, will switch to Renault engines next season.
“We look forward to working with the Scuderia Ferrari F1 competition in the new era. We are grateful to Cosworth who have partnered with us since our debut season in 2010, “said CEO of Marussia, Andy Webb.
With the announcement of Ferrari as engine provider, Marussia will likely retain its main driver Jules Bianchi as next season. Bianchi is the rider of the young rider development program Ferrari Driver Academy.

Austin Dillon wins at Eldora in first NASCAR dirt race in 43 years

The Camping World Truck Series’ debut on dirt went from novelty to mainstay in the span of three hours Wednesday night at Eldora Speedway, as Austin Dillon scored the first NASCAR national series win on a dirt track in 43 years.

If you watched and weren’t entertained, I don’t know what to tell you.

“This is real racing right here, this is all I’ve got to say,” Dillon said in victory lane after beating Kyle Larson to the finish line in a green-white-checker sprint.

The thing is, that wasn’t just the joy in Dillon coming out after he reached victory lane. The excitement of being at Tony Stewart’s track was palpable and authentic. Drivers and team members exclaimed throughout the evening about the race, and heck, not even a discouraging word was said by the NASCAR social media chamber, a notoriously finicky segment.

A big reason for that excitement? The racing.

Yes, it was different. But it wasn’t just the difference in styles in how a driver attacks a half-mile dirt track versus a 1.5 mile asphalt track that made Wednesday night mesmerizing. It was multiple grooves, the throttle management and a genuine sense that the race was ultimately going to be decided by the drivers and their trucks, not by clean air. (Which can be a bit of an oxymoron at a dirt track anyway.) Throw in a big helping of nostalgia — many NASCAR drivers grew up racing local dirt tracks — and it’s hard not to consider the night a rousing success.

Need proof of how that all came together? Look no further than the battle between Norm Benningand Clay Greenfield in the Last Chance Qualifier race to get into the 150 lap main event. Instead of relying only on single truck qualifying to set the field for the race, NASCAR used heat races and a subsequent last-chance race to whittle the 35 trucks attempting the race to the 30 trucks that would start the race.

With two laps left in the Last Chance race, Benning was holding onto the final transfer spot into the main race in fifth place. Greenfield was right behind him, both drivers in trucks they own and prepare themselves, a far cry from the multi-million dollar operations in the Sprint Cup Series.

Greenfield leaned on Benning’s bumper as the two approached the white flag. Benning got loose, but stayed in the throttle and held the position. As they came through turns three and four again,Greenfield got to the inside of Benning and slid up into him, forcing Benning’s truck into the wall. Sparks flew, but Benning stayed in the gas once again, nipping Greenfield at the line for that last place starting position.

And when Benning got back to the garage? Members from seemingly every team were waiting for him to get out of his truck to congratulate him.

Did NASCAR take a gamble by staging a type of race not run for nearly half a century at an 18,000 seat facility owned by a Sprint Cup Series champion? Probably. Did it pay off? Absolutely. Instead of the question being “Does the Truck Series return next year?” it’s now “When can the Nationwide and Cup Series do this?”

There’s no reason Alonso Leave Ferrari

Fernando Alonso Diaz (Foto: Reuters)

MARANELLO – At Scuderia Ferrari, Felipe Massa was not only exposed to the issue who leave. Fernando Alonso did not escape from a similar rumor. In contrast to Massa, Alonso reportedly frustrated by the performance of the car is still difficult to compete with rivals – Sebastian Vettel.

If the mass is said to be resigned or was sacked because of his own performance, Alonso gossip factor is more to car problems. Of the nine series that has been passed, the Spanish driver was still struggling for a consistent set-up on his F138 car.

You could say, the achievements of the podium five times, including two times the main podium, more due to his own skill as Alonso winning two world titles in 2005 and 2006 seasons. When asked of his manager, Luis Garcia Abad, the rumors were brushed away.

“(Rumor) was unprovoked. I would suggest a change in the team just because (Alonso) failed to win a title (since joining Ferrari), “said Abad, as cited Formula1FanCast, Tuesday (23/07/2013).

“Alonso is the fourth most widely rider won the Grand Prix. He also won two consecutive seasons. Some riders even retired from Formula One without winning any of the series, “he concluded.
(raw)

Red Bull help Austria Grand Prix seal a Formula One return in an increasingly packed 2014 schedule

A July 6 date was confirmed on Tuesday by Red Bull, the energy drinks company founded by Austrian billionaire Dietrich Mateschitz, which owns the eponymous Red Bull Formula One team and also the Red Bull Ring in Spielberg in the Styrian Alps.

Mateschitz is a close friend of F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone.

The Red Bull statement simply said: “Dietrich Mateschitz [Red Bull owner] and Bernie Ecclestone have reached agreement to the effect that Formula 1 will come back to Styria next year.”

The Red Bull Ring, formerly known as the A1-Ring, was mooted as a possible venue to fill the gap left vacant in this calendar by the withdrawal of the New Jersey GP.

Although in the end no deal was struck, Mateschitz has made no secret of his desire to see Formula One return to the circuit. The deal will be taken as a sign of his increasing power and influence.

A beautiful venue, its remote location and lack of infrastructure has counted against it, although Red Bull motorsport advisor Helmut Marko was adamant last winter that such concerns were “nonsense”, arguing that it “managed well enough in the 1970s and 1980s”. It hosted its last race in 2003 before Red Bull revamped it.

The July 6 date has already caused plenty of speculation about what the knock-on effect might be on the rest of the calendar.

With the governing body ruling out a clash with Le Mans 24 Hours (June 14-15) from now onwards, there are plenty of races and few spare weekends. Russia and New Jersey are both due to join the calendar, which could make 22 in total if all 19 from this season survive.

Added to the return of in-season testing, and winter testing starting earlier than usual due to the advent of the 1.6-litre turbo engines, 2014 looks like being the longest and busiest season in Formula One history.

MotoGP legend Enthusiast Follow Suzuka 8-Hours Race

Kevin Schwantz (Foto: ist)

SUZUKA – Event Suzuka 8-Hours Race this weekend ensured full participation of the iron horse jockey legend. One of them former MotoGP champion 1993 season, Kevin Schwantz, who will be riding the Suzuki GSX-R1000.

Not himself, Schwantz Suzuki team participating in will also partner with Yukio Kagayama and World Superbike legend, Noriyuki “Nitro” Haga. Schwantz was looking forward claiming back down in the event that there has been 11 years that followed.

“I’m looking forward to race at the Suzuka 8-Hour with Yukio and on the seat Noriyuki Suzuki GSX-R1000. Suzuka has a special place in my heart because I won my first 500cc Grand Prix here, “said Schwantz.

“The last time I took an eight-hour event was in 1992 with Doug Chandler and we could not finish the race due to mechanical problems. With only two riders, it will be difficult physically. Now with three riders and still be heavy for me though not as before, “he added.

“I myself have never won at this event and now with my colleagues tough as Yukio and Nori, I think we have a chance to win it,” Schwantz closed, as quoted by Crash, Thursday (25/07/2013).

Suzuka 8-Hours Event Race time will be followed by 63 riders and expected, Suzuka will be met 80 thousand fans at the final session, Saturday (07/27/2013) future. Last year, the event was won by a trio of Jonathan Rea, Kosuke Akiyoshi and Tadayuki Okada that carries the FCC TSR Honda team.

Lorenzo: Fall Again? My career fail!

Jorge Lorenzo Guerrero (Foto: Reuters)

MONTEREY – Jorge Lorenzo claimed had anxiety and fear when undergoing series Laguna Seca, early yesterday. Under conditions of the shoulder is still injured, the champions hit by fears of a career that could have been completed if back in an accident.

Previously, Lorenzo crashes twice in a row in Assen and Sachsenring and make a broken left collarbone. Must be fitted with a titanium plate was a medical team to fix broken bones Lorenzo.

But in the United States last GP, Lorenzo remains down. Yamaha Factory jockey admitted relieved not able to play due to finish the race with points (sixth) and most importantly, no more accidents because if it happens, will not only finish his journey this season but also can force closes early career.

“I feel proud and relieved, finally. Race yesterday I was in a difficult and dangerous situation. Because if I crash for the third time and also had surgery three times, this season or even a career I could run, “said Lorenzo.

“We avoid the situation. Now I am sure that I will (appear) more perfect in Indy (Indianapolis GP) and scramble back to fight another victory, “he added, as quoted by Autosport, Tuesday (07/23/2013).

Entering pause this summer, X-Fuera berujuluk racers did not want to diving activities other than rehabilitation and recovery: “I have not been feeling great, it took a month or more without anesthesia practice as well as two normal,” he added.

“At mid-race to the end (series Laguna), I felt dizzy. I look even worse. Not to mention the performance of my bike that is not working properly when warm-up session, “added Lorenzo.
(raw)

 

Future related, Crutchlow Five Team Approach

Cal Crutchlow. (Foto: Getty Images)

CALIFORNIA – Cal Crutchlow said that he would not be too hasty in making a decision about his future in MotoGP next season. Although, the Tech 3 Yamaha rider was approaching five teams.

Crutchlow are confident that the results on the mat finish seventh MotoGP race at Laguna Seca United States did not change everything. Because the performance is currently still making interest other teams to sign him.

“I think we were at Laguna Seca result does not change anything about my future. Thing is clear so far I always go faster and be a tough challenge rivals. Though the race at Laguna Seca goes bad, it is not changing anything,” he said.

Drivers who currently lie fifth MotoGP standings states would take a decision after Indianapolis MotoGP title, next August. Although, he admitted that he is negotiating with five teams.

“I’m not going to rush to make a decision and I’m also not going to make any decisions at Indy. I still need time to think about it. I was talking with five teams, and not just from this championship. So we’ll see,” he said as Crash reported.

British rider claimed it wanted to move to a factory team in order to achieve maximum results. Ducati itself be the strongest candidate for him, following the departure of Nicky Hayden certainty to the Superbike arena.

Italian Motorcycle rider killed

Italian rider, Andrea Antonelli who compete in the World Supersport Championship (WSS) at the Moscow Raceway, Sunday (21/7) had an accident wiped opener.
Riders who defended the Go Eleven Kawasaki team killed diinsiden the accident, when the race circuit in wet weather and slippery because of heavy rain.
Shortly after the fall of the ZX-68 motorcycle her, Antonelli hit by Lorenzo Zanetti who was driving behind him.
Race itself was finally stopped, then the incidence of accidents will be handled Russia’s Federal Investigative Committee. WSS held in conjunction with the World Superbike Championship (WSBK).